National Service (NS) Training Programme (PLKN) 2015 Stopped to Save RM400mil - Najib on Budget 2015 Revision
The Star Online:
Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak (pic) announced key measures to sustain development and economical growth on Tuesday.No more PLKN for 2015, what about 2016? When a training programme of this scale is stopped for one year, what should the trainers, staffs and others who involved in the PLKN do in 2015? Are they expected to be unemployed for one year and then reemployed back when PLKN is to be continued again in perhaps 2016?
Malaysia Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Abdul Razak / The Star
According to him, the Government will continue to seek ways to ensure the country continues to grow as well as protecting the people's well-being.
The highlights of his announcement include:
* The 2015 National Service Training Programme stopped this year to save RM400mil; programme to be reviewed and enhanced.
* Electricity tariff will not be increased this year.
* Free visa for tourists, among them from China, in a strategy to boost the country's tourism industry.
* Levy on foreign workers to be reviewed.
* Priority given in project tenders to local contractors registered with the Construction Industry Development Board - Class G1 (Class F), G2 (Class E) and G3 (Class D) contractors.
* Local contractors to be given the task of carrying out repair works on flood-hit areas.
* Increasing the frequency and duration of mega sales nationwide.
* Extending the period of mega sales nationwide.
* Intensify domestic tourism promotions by offering competitive airfares.
* Scheduled gas price hike for the industrial sector postponed.
* Projects such as the MRT Line 2, LRT 3, Kuala Lumpur-Singapore High-Speed Rail will be continued.